peyton manning's record reveals tom brady's greatness - SportsRip

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 7 June 2014

YOGI BERRA: REAL AMERICAN HERO

Posted on 03:59 by raja rani



I'll never think of Yogi Berra the same way. Ever.

I once thought he was one of the greatest baseball players the game had ever seen. A
3-time MVP, 10-time World Series champion and Hall of Famer, Berra had accomplished
things most players can only dream of.

It means nothing to me anymore. Nothing.

While scouring the Internet for inspirational stories on 70th anniversary of D-Day and the
Normandy invasion, I came across an article about Berra being honored for his participation
in one of the most significant and greatest events in our world history.


I said to myself, "Are you kidding me? Yogi Berra fought for our country that day? How
the hell did I miss that?"

As a baseball junkie growing up,  I was obsessed with playing the game and the history of it.
I memorized stats on the back of bubble gum cards and spent more a lot of time learning about
the great ones by studying the Baseball Encyclopedia. Every Saturday, I was glued to the
television for NBC's 'Game of the Week.'

Yogi Berra always intrigued me. He was a small man who put up some incredible numbers.
During my career covering baseball for various television stations and networks, I'd often
see him on the field and wondered to myself, "How the hell did this little, funny-looking guy dominate the game?"



Turns out, that wasn't the question I should've been asking. I should have been wondering
how anyone could fit so much courage into a 5-foot, 8-inch body.

Berra was in Normandy on June 6, 1944, right there in the midst of a bloodbath when
American troops stormed the beaches of Normandy. 2, 500 U.S.soldiers lost their lives
that day,  many of them cut down almost as soon as the front portion of their boats were
dropped down for the rush to fight the Germans.

Berra was just a 19-year old kid that day. 19-years-old. Think about that. What were you
doing at that age? Partying in college? Spending spring break in Daytona? Just chilling
out with your friends?

Berra was in a 36-foot boat with five other men launching bombs at the Germans to
provide cover for the troops rushing the beach among heavy gunfire.

Can you imagine the things Berra saw that day? Can you imagine what was going through
his mind when saw the ocean turn into the Red Sea from all the blood that was shed just
yards away from him? Can you imagine how frightened Berra was as a 19-year old kid.

Unbelievable.

Our country sure loses perspective when it comes to sports. We idolize players because
they appear to be super human freaks who can run, jump, and throw better than 99.9
percent of the population. We think they are super heroes because they are on TV every
night mastering a kids game.

Broadcasters talk about players having courage because they take a big hit going over
the middle to catch a football. David Ortiz compares a baseball game with a heated
rival as "war".  Good, grief.


Yogi Berra was once a baseball legend to me. Not anymore. He's a true American hero now.
After discovering Berra fought the courageous fight in Normandy, I will never look at him
the same. Ever

I admire Yogi Berra far more today than i ever did. All the baseball stuff is meaningless.
What he did for our country means everything.

Who knew? Now, I do. Thank you, Yogi Berra.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • PAUL DEVLIN'S VALENTINE: HEAVEN SENT
  • LOLO JONES: SHE'S BAAAAAAACK
    After watching Lolo Jones cry on the set of NBC after failing to medal in the Olympics, I wrote that the American Hurdler wouldn't go aw...
  • THE DISSECTION OF JIM TOMSULA
    With his first word at his introductory press conference, the critique of Jim Tomsula was on. Everybody in 49ers nation hung on his every wo...
  • RICK RENTERIA GETS LEFT ON THE DANCE FLOOR
    Anyone who has spent significant time on earth knows that life is not fair and no one goes through it forever riding the good ship lollipop....
  • WITH A-ROD, THERE WILL BE NO REFUND
    When news came down that Alex Rodriquez would probably miss half of next season because of hip surgery, I couldn't help but think of a s...
  • JIM BIBBY: A BASEBALL GIANT
    I first met Jim Bibby in spring training with the Boston Red Sox organization nearly 25 years ago. He's one of the biggest human beings ...
  • JOE PATERNO AND THE 111 WINS
    Social media was flooded Friday afternoon with pictures of Joe Paterno smiling and celebrating with captions that read, "NCAA restores ...
  • JAVON BELCHER SHOULD BE FORGOTTEN
    When I saw a picture of the shrine the Kansas City Chiefs made to Javon Belcher inside their locker room, I realized, more than ever, that p...
  • WHEN IS THE PAST REALLY IN THE PAST?
    When does the past really become the past? Should the bad things Julie Hermann allegedly did 16 years ago destroy her future? Why do people ...
  • BELICHICK'S LESSON IN 'MOVING ON TO CINCINNATI'
    Jonas Gray? Who the heck is Jonas Gray? Sounds like somebody who attended an elite prep school in New England. Undrafted, cut by the Miami D...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2015 (26)
    • ►  January (26)
  • ▼  2014 (111)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (19)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (23)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ▼  June (3)
      • YOGI BERRA: REAL AMERICAN HERO
      • BOWE BERGDAHL: DO WE HAVE ALL THE FACTS, JACK?!!!!!!
      • MARK REARICK AND THE END OF AN ERA
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2013 (251)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (13)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (24)
    • ►  August (25)
    • ►  July (26)
    • ►  June (23)
    • ►  May (30)
    • ►  April (19)
    • ►  March (17)
    • ►  February (21)
    • ►  January (37)
  • ►  2012 (112)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (33)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (16)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (8)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

raja rani
View my complete profile