peyton manning's record reveals tom brady's greatness - SportsRip

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 11 April 2013

TIANLANG GUAN AND BEING 14-YEARS OLD

Posted on 17:28 by raja rani


When I was 14-years old, I had one of the most frightening experiences in my life. I was a
freshman at Lake Forest High, which is located about 30 miles north of Chicago. I was going to
ask Carrie Pinkerton to go out with me. Man, you talk about sweaty palms, dry mouth,  and
the fear of looking bad? I had it.

If I was Forest Gump, Carrie was my Jen-naaaay. She was the prettiest thing I had ever laid I
eyes. Even though she wore blue jean overalls and a super tight and pink sweater, what seemed
like every single day, I had a mad crush on her. Asking her out was nerve racking. What should
I say, how should I do it, and will she notice the big zit on my forehead and nose? All those
questions went through my mind about a million times. I finally got the courage to pop the
biggest question  of my 14-year life. And you know what? Carrie Pinkerton said yes. Woo-hoo!
I was DA MAN!

I thought about that as I was watching Tianlang Guan become the youngest person ever to play in
the Masters. He's just 14-years old, the same age I was when I asked Carrie Pinkerton to be mine
during my freshman year. And it hit me. I said, "what the hell was I so nervous about? This kid's
playing the Masters before he hit puberty and I was scared out of my mind in asking Carrie out!" Unreal.


It was pretty unreal watching Guan play the perfectly manicured course at Augusta National. He
looked about as nervous as he probably was when he played a municipal course back in China
for the first time. The kid had ice in his veins. He didn't shake, sweat, or wet his pants in what
had  to be the biggest moment of his life. It certainly was one of the biggest moments in the history
of  the  Masters. Guan is the youngest golfer to tee it up in the tournament by TWO YEARS!
Simply, amazing.


Guan received an automatic spot in the Masters by winning an amateur tournament in China
that you've never heard of. Playing with two-times Masters champion, Ben Crenshaw, who was making his 42nd start in Augusta, Guan shot an incredible 73, which was just one-over par
and good enough to be low amateur of the day.

There was nothing amateur about Guan on this historic day. He bounced back from a bogey
on the opening hole, then played even for  the rest of the way. Guan's tricky birdie putt on 18,
snaked its way into the cup to the put an exclamation on one heckuva story. A 73 for a 14-year
old kid in the Masters? Wow. Tiger Woods played his first round in the Masters as an amateur
at 19-years old, which is a seasoned veteran compared to Guan. Tiger shot 72, making Guan's
opening score really, really, really, impressive


Leading up to the 2013 Masters, it was all about Tiger Woods. Tiger this, Tiger that, Tiger's
going to running away with the tournament as if nobody else is playing. Forget that. I'm tired of
it already. Watching Tianlang Guan is amazing. He's only 14! That means he still has plenty of
shanks, chilly-dips, and duck hooks left in his game because he's far from a finished product,
but he was simply brilliant. Poise? He's the definition of it.

Remarkably, Guan has played more than 200 tournaments in his young life already. None are
bigger than the Masters and he's acting (and playing) as if he's been a member at Augusta his
entire life. It's truly a beautiful thing to watch.

This is so innocent, so pure, and so fascinating to watch unfold. There is no scandal, no drama,
and no agents plotting his every move and sound bite. This is scintillating.


When Guan tees it up on Friday morning, he will have more new fans they he could've have
every imagined. Eyes will be fixated on him, the experts will critique every part of his game,
and part of our faith in the purity of sports, will be restored.

Forget about Tiger, Guan will get all of my attention for the rest of this tournament. And  he'll get,
remarkably, even more attention than I gave to Carrie Pinkerton back in the day, as a 14-year
old freshman in high school. What the heck was I thinking?
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • PAUL DEVLIN'S VALENTINE: HEAVEN SENT
  • LOLO JONES: SHE'S BAAAAAAACK
    After watching Lolo Jones cry on the set of NBC after failing to medal in the Olympics, I wrote that the American Hurdler wouldn't go aw...
  • THE DISSECTION OF JIM TOMSULA
    With his first word at his introductory press conference, the critique of Jim Tomsula was on. Everybody in 49ers nation hung on his every wo...
  • WITH A-ROD, THERE WILL BE NO REFUND
    When news came down that Alex Rodriquez would probably miss half of next season because of hip surgery, I couldn't help but think of a s...
  • JIM BIBBY: A BASEBALL GIANT
    I first met Jim Bibby in spring training with the Boston Red Sox organization nearly 25 years ago. He's one of the biggest human beings ...
  • JOE PATERNO AND THE 111 WINS
    Social media was flooded Friday afternoon with pictures of Joe Paterno smiling and celebrating with captions that read, "NCAA restores ...
  • JAVON BELCHER SHOULD BE FORGOTTEN
    When I saw a picture of the shrine the Kansas City Chiefs made to Javon Belcher inside their locker room, I realized, more than ever, that p...
  • WHEN IS THE PAST REALLY IN THE PAST?
    When does the past really become the past? Should the bad things Julie Hermann allegedly did 16 years ago destroy her future? Why do people ...
  • BELICHICK'S LESSON IN 'MOVING ON TO CINCINNATI'
    Jonas Gray? Who the heck is Jonas Gray? Sounds like somebody who attended an elite prep school in New England. Undrafted, cut by the Miami D...
  • THE END OF A-ROD
    No matter what happens today, tomorrow, or this weekend, the career of Alex Rodriquez is over. After more than 2,500 games and 11,000 at-bat...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2015 (26)
    • ►  January (26)
  • ►  2014 (111)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (19)
    • ►  October (18)
    • ►  September (23)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ▼  2013 (251)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (13)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (24)
    • ►  August (25)
    • ►  July (26)
    • ►  June (23)
    • ►  May (30)
    • ▼  April (19)
      • JASON COLLINS: HE'S NO JACKIE ROBINSON
      • MANTI TE'O FINALLY GETS HIS HAPPY ENDING
      • I AM BOSTON
      • 2014 BOSTON MARATHON: BIGGER THAN SUPER BOWL
      • BOSTON BOMBING: THE SOCIAL MEDIA HUNT IS OFF AND ...
      • CARLOS ARREDONDO: THE MAN IN THE COWBOY HAT
      • BOSTON, MY BOSTON
      • TIGER WOODS LEARNS ALL ABOUT KARMA
      • GUAN SLOW AND STRONG KID
      • TIANLANG GUAN AND BEING 14-YEARS OLD
      • JIM BIBBY: A BASEBALL GIANT
      • SHINING MOMENTS FOR COLLEGE SPORTS
      • RUTGERS AND PERNETTI JUMP INTO NCAA'S CESSPOOL
      • FACEBOOK AND POSTING PICTURES OF YOUR FOOD. REALLY?
      • RUTGERS AND PENN STATE ARE ONE AND SAME
      • THINGS RUTGERS SAID WHILE WATCHING MIKE RICE VIDEO
      • RUTGERS IS REELING FROM VOLATILE RICE
      • BRYCE HARPER AND BAD HAIRSTYLES
      • KEVIN WARE'S INJURY IS A REMINDER OF THOSE WHO'VE ...
    • ►  March (17)
    • ►  February (21)
    • ►  January (37)
  • ►  2012 (112)
    • ►  December (31)
    • ►  November (33)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (16)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (8)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

raja rani
View my complete profile